Prognosis for Rapid Progressor?

Hello Dr. Young, I'm a 42 year old male who was diagnosed with HIV in fall 2003 following previous consecutive negative results annually. At the time of diagnosis my stats were VL-230,000/CD4-490/28%. Not being able to pinpoint my actual seroconversion weighed strongly in my hesitance to begin therapy right away...instead, opting to see how my case would trend and hopefully stabilize on its own for the better. Aside from some fatique, otherwise asymptomatic, the following 12 mos. saw my VL bouncing between 100,000-250,000 and other numbers stabilize at CD4-351 (never below), and percentage at 21%. At this point I developed KS lesions on my feet which was quite a shock only 1 year and change out of the gate. I immediately began my 100% adherence to the regimen of Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada and am extremely pleased to report the complete disappearance of lesions, VL-Undetectable for 10mos./28% and I feel great. Here's my concern...How does my case of rapid progression to an AIDS defining event affect my overall prognosis? Can I expect a higher rate of med failure? I suspect my options are more limited. It would help me to know your opinion. I appreciate your time. Thank you.

Thanks for your post.

I'm glad to hear that your symptoms are improving on treatment. To my knowledge and certainly within our years of clinical experience, patients who have rapid progression from time of infection to time of treatment appear to fair just as well as those who have slower disease progression.

The key thing is finding a potent regimen that can be adhered to with the best side effect profile. Provided this, you should do very well. There's no reason to think that you'd necessarily have a greater risk of developing drug resistance or treatment failure-- the fact that you're taking a boosted PI regimen, if anything, should be in your favor in protecting future treatment options (though this has not yet been established for boosted atazanavir (Reyataz).

Good luck, be well. BY

Boosted vs Unboosted regimine--another question, seeking advice
Meds change pml relatated