What about Lasik and being POZ

I've been chatting with Eric and he suggested that I ask you this question. I received my HIV positive diagnosis on 1/9/06. I have no idea about numbers at this point. I have been to see an HIV specialist in St. Louis for preliminary evaluation but no test results yet. I had Lasik on both eyes in September and was scheduled for an enhancement on the right eye for 2/3/2006. I have my pre-op evaluation tomorrow 1/20/06. Is there any reason why I should not proceed with the Lasik enhancement on the right eye? I'm healthy and my only symptoms are swollen lymph nodes. And if I proceed, what level of disclosure about my status do I need to make? Thanks!

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. There are studies that show that persons with HIV don't appear to have increased risk of surgical complications, provided that they are otherwise asymptomatic. Consistent with this is that you had eye surgery in September-- and probably were HIV+ at that time. By this time, you've had your pre-op evaluation-- I would like to know more about your HIV laboratory status before making any pronouncements--but suspect that you could undergo the surgery if needed.

I always, always recommend that HIV+ persons let their healthcare providers know about their status-- non-disclosure can lead to lots of unnecessary tests, misled diagnostics-- all to the detriment of the patient.

Good luck and better vision. BY

life expectancy
Boosted vs Unboosted regimine--another question, seeking advice