Travelling and HIV

I leave in the Southern African Region, positive and on ARVS (Douvir and nevirapine). I would like to find out if I wanted to travel outside my country what should I do when carrying my meds and is there a way in which if I fell sick a doctor can attend to me in good time?

Thanks for your post.

I'm very happy to hear that your receiving medications in southern Africa. In general, most countries don't restrict travel to persons living with HIV or for persons carrying HIV medications (though there are some restrictions to getting visas, including the US).

I'd certainly recommend that you continue to take your medications while on your travels, in order not to risk illness-- if you were to become ill, most countries allow access to emergency medical services. It would be worth exploring getting international traveller's health insurance-- often not too costly, and can save a lot of hassel if you need care. Lastly, local AIDS service organizations can help you with finding out exactly who to contact or see for medical assistance in the event of an emergency. It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact them even before you go.

Good luck, good health and safe travels to you. BY

Ten years after protected sex
Depression