Recently I've diagnosed HIV positive, and has not taking any med yet

Hi Dr. Pierone, Thanks for answering my questions. My name is Joe, Male, Age: 33 Year old, Weight: 240 lbs, Height: 6.1. I have been diagnosed HIV positive since October 2005. On that time, my viral load was 5,000. Today, January 2006, I got blod test, and my viral load is down to 4,000. My doctor in U.S. (San Francisco) told me not to take any HIV medicine due to viral load still low. I have been taking alot of multi vitamins (mostly C),have acupunture every week, and exercise 3 times a week. The questions are: 1. Is my Viral Load going down had something to do with the way I eat and the multi-vitamins I have been taking lately? 2. Is that possible, If I do not take any HIV Medicine, and control the HIV/viral load through the way I eat, and perhaps loosing weight? 3. Have you ever heard any case like I have, (diagnose HIV positive (viral load 5,000); and he/she have not taking any HIV medicines for the past 5 - 15 years? 4. I have been experincing diarhea for the past 1 year (late 2004 until now). I have been gone to the bathroom, everytime I ate hot sauce and gas alot. Before late 2004, I never had this diarhea problem and gas problem (even without eating hot sauce). Are these have something to do with HIV virus? and How can I prevent this problem, beside not eating hot sauce. 5. Since 2004 to Now, when I got Flue/Sick/fever, it was hard for me to recover (took 3 weeks to fully recover, (i have to take alot of flue medicines from wallsgreen). Is this sympton really normal for person have a HIV virus?

Thanks for your help. Joe

Hello and thanks for posting.

The viral load test is quite low off therapy and this is certainly good news. You did not mention the CD4 count, but I assume it is high or normal. Positive lifestyle behaviors are linked to lower viral load readings and better clinical outcomes in HIV infection. So vigorous exercise, a balanced diet, and nutritional supplements are all good things and help promote health.

Some people maintain long-term control of HIV infection without medication and people in this group are known as "long-term nonprogressors". There are likely many factors that contribute to long-term non-progression of HIV, but the protection seems mainly to be attributable to a robust immune response directed against HIV.

With regard to the diarrhea, you may need some stool studies to make sure that you do not have an infection with a parasite. It is hard to draw any conclusions about the delayed recovery from flu-like symptoms, it is possible that this may be related to HIV infection and hopefully will improve over time. It makes sense to discuss these issues with your clinician. Best of luck to you!

I am scared
Longest Duration