Pml Survivor 5 years

Hi Dr Young, I am near back to normal again, so it is possible with pml to get back on track and lead a normal life again so my message to others is there is hope. OK I need professional advice please. I take Nevarapine 3tc Abacavir (once daily :) for 5 years with good results except for high cholestral, I wanted to change to Nevarapine FTC Tenofivir (once daily) would this new slightly tweaked combination be suitable for me (previously having pml) as i've read recent studies that this combination may reduce cholestrol lipod levels. I am undetectable and cd4 around 375 in great health. I look forward to your reply. Mark

Thanks for your follow up.

It's good to hear from you and that you're doing well.

Both regimens that you mention should be fine with regard to suppressing your virus and maintaining your health. I'm not convinced, however, that a switch from abacavir+3TC to tenofovir+FTC will result in large changes in your lipid levels-- small ones, perhaps. If you're having difficulties with getting your lipid levels into acceptable levels, I'd propose that the majority of this effect is due to diet, exercise, or hereditary factors.

Keep up the excellent work with your adherence, BY

Experimental treatment -follow up
prednisone and hiv