What to do about meds and pregnancy

I just found out I am pregnant and have a low cd4 count (19). My last labs show my viral load at 230,000. I just completed drug rehab for an addiction to Vicodan and have not been taking my meds properly. I need to know what meds I should take or not at this time and can I have a healthy baby and remain healthy during a pregnancy.

Thanks for your post.

Congratulations on completing your rehab-- it's no easy thing.

With your current CD4 cell count and pregnancy, there are a lot of reasons why you should consider resuming treatment for HIV. While some experts would recommend waiting until the end of the first trimester (to avoid some of the risk to your baby), your current CD4 count indicates significant risk to you should resumption be delayed longer.

About the only medications to avoid at this point are efavirenz (Sustiva) and the combination of d4T (Zerit) and ddI (Videx). Past that, the key objective is to lower your viral load and increase your CD4 count with combination medications that are as best tolerable and adhered to as possible.

Good luck, keep us informed about your decisions and progress towards a happy and healthy baby (and mother). BY

Concerned Wife with HIV positive Husband
Experimental treatment -follow up