Should I switch to reduce copays?

Thank you for all you do!

I'm currently on a once-a-day treatment of Truvada, Reyataz/Norvir.

Should I consider changing to Sustiva or some other regimen for the purpose of reducing my co-pay from 3 types of pills to 2?

Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

Thanx!

Financial considerations are one of the many factors that help decide whether or not to switch a medication. Co-pays in some health plans may be hefty and not a trivial expense.

There is certainly nothing wrong with switching from a boosted PI to Sustiva, but your clinician may have had some specific reasons for choosing Norvir/Reyataz for you. Also, anytime a medication is switched there is the potential for an adverse reaction or new side effect. In the case of Sustiva the first several weeks may be difficult to work through because of neuro-cognitive side effects. So the risks of switching need to be considered as well, but it is a strategy that has merit at times.

Best of luck to you!

Efavirenz and Rifafour interaction?
Neurological symptoms. What's going on?