Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment of lipids while on HIV meds
Jan 10, 2006

I am in treatment for HIV with Lexiva, Sustiva, and Ziagen. I have undetectable viral load and CD4 in 450 range. I was prescribed Lipitor and Zetia for hyperlipidemia. Does this does have negative feedback with my treatment antiviral regimen or are they are acceptable in my case? Thanks and happy New Year with much prosperity and health.

estoy en tratamiento para el vih con sustiva lexiva y zyagen estoy no dectable de virus y los cd4 en 450 me indicaron lipitor y zetia para la hyperlipidemia esto no tienen reacciones negativas con mi tratamiento antiviral.?son aceptable en mi caso? gracias anticipadas y feliz ano nuevo y mucha prosperidad y salud se lo deseo de corazon

Response from Dr. Pierone

It is very common for increases in lipid levels to develop as a result of treatment with HIV medications. There are very effective medications for treating cholesterol and foremost among them are Zetia and Lipitor. There are drug-drug interactions between protease inhibitors (Lexiva) and statins like Lipitor. Because of the shared liver metabolism of these agents the blood levels of Lipitor are increased considerably. We still use them together, but tend to use the lower dosage range of Lipitor in the 10 to 20 mg range.

Best of luck to you!

Es muy común para los aumentos en niveles de lípido convertirse como resultado del tratamiento con las medicaciones del VIH. Hay medicaciones muy eficaces para tratar el colesterol y primero entre ellos son Zetia y Lipitor. Hay interacciones de la droga-droga entre los inhibidores del protease (Lexiva) y los statins como Lipitor. Debido a el metabolismo compartido del hígado de estos agentes los niveles de la sangre de Lipitor se aumentan considerablemente. Todavía los utilizamos juntos, pero tienda para utilizar la gama más baja de la dosificación de Lipitor en gama del magnesio 10 a 20. ¡Lo más mejor posible de la suerte a usted!

Previous
New Medications before 2011
Next
viral load and CD4 fluctuations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.