Entry Inhibitors/Future

Dr. Wohl, First off, happy new year. I hope that 2006 brings some exciting developments in the treament of HIV. Hopefully something that is very difficult to get gain resistant to and is easy on the body. That said, do these entry inhibitors really have a chance? I am beginning to think that class of therapy isn't the "answer". If so, what REALISTICLY, not gene therapy, will be the next new thing? Please give me something to look forward to in 2006.

Happy New Year to you.

2006 may be a little shy of revolutionary new therapies (sorry). It IS likely we will see a new protease inhibitor (TMC114) which looks like it will be helpful for people with resistant virus.

What we really can use is a second generation NNRTI (family of drugs that includes Sustiva and Viramune). When a person gets resistance to one of these they usually are resistant to all three of the drugs in this class. As Sustiva is a common first line drug, those who experience resistance to this drug are left to protease inhibitors. An NNRTI that could salvage Sustiva and Viramune failure would be wonderful and is something we may see in 2007.

Don't forget integrase inhibitors. Merck has one that is clinical trials.

men/women ratio
help