Afraid of being resistant to all Meds

Recently, I was diagnosed with HIV. My T-Cell count was 540 and my viral load was relatively low. I assume that Ive been infected for about 3-4 yrs. Now but dont really know. I have a wonderful Dr. here in Orlando, FL who sometimes consults on this web site. I have only seen him twice so far but feel very comfortable with his expertise. However, I want to know as much as I can and learn from him but am hesitant to ask the questions that might make me sound neurotic or foolish so Im going to ask you instead.

I know that drug resistance is a real problem and it worries me that I could be someone that is resistant to all the class of drugs available today. Can you please tell me how likely it is that once my resistance test return that I could be one that has no first line options? Could this happen to one that has never taken HIV drugs in the past? Im a professional, 40 yr. old man, who does not smoke and only drinks a cocktail once a week. Thank you for answering this question and I look forward to the response.

Thanks for your post.

My guess is that you're seeing our good friend and excellent HIV doctor, Dr. Edwin DeJesus.

Yes, transmitted HIV drug resistance is a significant problem-- one that may effect around 10% of newly infected persons in the US (patients who have never taken HIV medications). Fortunately, the rates of transmitted multidrug resistance is lower- around 1-3% and the cases of total drug resistance are so rare that they make the front pages of the New York Times and Miami Herald.

Ultimately, a drug resistance test, obtained before starting on medications will provide guidance about the kind of drug options that you have, when the time comes to start HAART.

Good luck, be well. BY

Thanks for your ansvver
thanks for replying