Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PML
Jan 7, 2006

To date what is the most effective treatment for PML? I was diagnosed in apr. 2004 with final stages of aids, and now am doing well. My doctor has literally pulled me from deaths door. I now am told that the hiv would be undetectable and I now have much of my functioning back. I take my meds religiously and follow all the doctors orders. I would like to know what has been the best medicine for pml and what is the life expectancy with the pml today?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

While there's some debate about this, I've seen patients recover from PML taking a wide variety of medications-- NNRTI-based and PI-based. Hence, it's my belief that the best medications for PML are the ones that that the patient can take with the best adherence and minimal side effects.

It certainly sounds like you've had a terrific recovery-- in part by being able to adhere to your medications and doctor's requests.

As such, at this point, I expect you to have an excellent long-term prognosis and life expectancy; indeed probably similar to patients who have not had PML..

Good luck, good health to you. BY

Previous
12 years positive
Next
Thanks for your ansvver

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.