12 years positive

First i want to thanks for your wonderfull work! I am positive for 12 years and was under treatment for 4 years with ddi and d4t. 4 years ago i stoped it because i was developing lipodistrophy in my face and i was undetectable vl and 1200 cd4. Now, i have about 800 cd4/ml and 45.000 vl but still not in meds! I fill great. My question is: when should i restart medication, witch is the best combo and, if it is possible, i would like to know your opinion about the life-span of some-one in my condition! Thank you in advance! From portugal!

Bom gia-

Thanks for your post from Portugal. Your's is one of my very favorite places in Europe.

I don't think that with your current labs that you need to resume treatment for HIV any time in the near future. Hopefully this time off will give your body a chance to recover some of the fat that you lost while taking d4T and ddI.

Given that you had an undetectable viral load while taking your last (?and first) drug regimen, you should be able to safely use any more contemporary drug combinations. There a many good combinations that typically use 2 NRTIs and either a NNRTI or a boosted PI-- I won't go into details here, anticipating that by the time that you need to start, there might be additional insight into which to start (but stay tuned here at TheBody.com to find out how the research goes.)

I suspect that you'll have an excellent long-term prognosis- with a life expectancy that could very well be normal (or near-normal).

So, good luck for a happy and healthy new year. Feel free to write back with any questions. Enjoy some good fado for me. BY

Good Denver Kaiser Permanente Doctors?
PML