Just Starting meds

After testing positive 18 years ago and with delining t-cells..down to 54 a couple weeks ago.. ..My doctor finally convinced me to start the meds. It's only been a few days since I started..so far I have some nausua & dirarea.. not too bad tho. Are these side effetcs temporary or is this some thing I have to live with? I am taking 2 trizivir and 1 Kaletra twice a day... Also my last labs revealed my white blood count was low as well. Does this have anything to do with the HIV?...

Thanks for your post.

I do agree that with a CD4 count of 54 it's long since time to start medications for HIV. Your low WBC count is consistent with having advanced HIV disease and AIDS.

I'm puzzled by the doses of the medications that you're taking. Trizivir (AZT/3TC/abacavir) is dosed 1 tablet twice daily; lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra, capsule formulation) is dosed 3 capsules twice daily or 6 once-daily. The new tablet formulation of Kaletra is dosed 2 tablets twice daily or 4 once daily.

Most of the side effects of medications are at their worse in the first weeks of treatment and then subside.

Given the differences in your reported doses and the recommended doses, I'd contact your doctor as soon as possible to clarify.

Good luck, be well. BY

difference between HIV type 1 and type 2
Starting Meds