The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Molluscum Contagiam & Dermatologists
Jan 1, 2006

Hi Doc, I have been having recurring problems with Molluscum on my face for several months now since my HIV count has gone down (past 40). I have been going to a dermatologist in Queens, NY (I live in the Bronx) who has been freezing them off my face, but they keep coming back. Question is:

If i have to shave, is an electric shaver much better than a stright edge (spreading)

Is there a list of Dermatologists who specialize in HIV positive people in NYC? I can't find any. My doctor for HIV has a referrel but she is always booked up.

Hope you have any info on these two questions (ps. How would you find a Dermatologist who specializes in Molluscum Contagism in your area, ie New York City?) Thanks,

Jason NYC

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting. I suspect that an electric razor would be less traumatic than a straight edge razor and would result in less likelihood of spreading molluscum lesions. There must be a large network of dermatologists that are well versed in HIV skin management in NYC and your doctors office, case manager, or health plan should be able to help you find one. A larger question is whether your CD4 count can be brought up with control of HIV infection because the immune reconstitution often helps clear molluscum better than the local treatments that dermatologists can offer. Hope that this helps and best of luck to you!

CD4, AIDS and Immunizations
switching meds

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint