do meds work right away?

I just started taking HIV meds truvada and viramune today. do they start working right away? What can I do to reduce the stress on my liver that these drugs cause? Can I still go out with friends for drinks a couple nights a week? What about taking Ibuprofen or tylenol? Im concerned about if this is the right tx for me since i'm just beginning meds. At last doc visit CD4 was 240 and VL >60,000. I have been HIV+ for three years without taking meds.

Hello and thanks for posting.

For someone just starting out on an antiretroviral regimen it is best to minimize potential interacting or confounding medications and drugs. This would mean avoiding alcohol, Tylenol, and ibuprofen for the first several months. Once you know that the HAART regimen is working you can then start consuming alcohol on a social basis and also use Tylenol and ibuprofen sparingly. HIV medications start working right away and there is usually a major drop in viral load levels within one to two weeks.

Let us know how things go. Best of luck!

Inconsistent HIV test & lymphoma
Failure to Win