Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Inconsistent HIV test & lymphoma
Jan 1, 2006

I live in South Africa, 39+ Female who considered myself healthy until two weeks ago. I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. At the same time I requested an HIV test: the first Eliza came positive, the second came negative, a CD4 count reported 318 with 0 viral load, and today, a PCR delivered a positive result. My husband underwent a Eliza and PCR and came up negative both times. Evidence on the Internet shows that the widely accepted 100% accurate result for HIV tests seems to be less conclusive. The lymphoma seems to be aggressive and rapidly developing - I have little time to error on an inaccurate HIV test. Any advise?

Hettie

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis of lymphoma. When the results of HIV tests are inconsistent, repeat testing will almost always clarify the situation. I would repeat the ELISA, Western Blot, and quantitative PCR for HIV. In the meanwhile, the staging and treatment for lymphoma should not be delayed. Good luck to you!

Previous
Prevention of Wasting with the use of Anabolic Therapies
Next
do meds work right away?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.