Inconsistent HIV test & lymphoma

I live in South Africa, 39+ Female who considered myself healthy until two weeks ago. I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. At the same time I requested an HIV test: the first Eliza came positive, the second came negative, a CD4 count reported 318 with 0 viral load, and today, a PCR delivered a positive result. My husband underwent a Eliza and PCR and came up negative both times. Evidence on the Internet shows that the widely accepted 100% accurate result for HIV tests seems to be less conclusive. The lymphoma seems to be aggressive and rapidly developing - I have little time to error on an inaccurate HIV test. Any advise?

Hettie

Hello and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis of lymphoma. When the results of HIV tests are inconsistent, repeat testing will almost always clarify the situation. I would repeat the ELISA, Western Blot, and quantitative PCR for HIV. In the meanwhile, the staging and treatment for lymphoma should not be delayed. Good luck to you!

Prevention of Wasting with the use of Anabolic Therapies
do meds work right away?