Prevention of Wasting with the use of Anabolic Therapies

On October 31st I found out that Im HIV+ my CD4 is 368 and viral load is 132,000. I may be at a point sometime in the near future to where I will need to take some type of HIV meds. Im 6 tall and weight 175, and in very good health, with the exception of my newly found enemy that is living in my body. My question is, what is that thought of putting on additional lean body mass with the use of Anabolic Steroids? With this there is allot of questions that come with that first and foremost is it safe, with monitoring by a DR? Will this help with preventing wasting in the future? Im reading a book called Built to Survive 4th edition by Michael Mooney and Nelson Vergel. This book has giving the pros and cons to taking anabolic therapies to add lean body mass. Im very active now and I would hate to look all emaciated from the HIV regimens that are out there or worse yet if I do get some type of illness that would cause me to loose allot of weight loosing 30-50 lbs would be very bad for my health and mental well being. What are you thoughts?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Androgenic steroids may be very useful, but must be used cautiously because of the side effects. As a general rule, HIV alone is not an indication for androgenic steroids. Instead it makes more sense to focus on weight training, aerobics, and good diet to build your muscle mass.

When therapy does become necessary, the newer regimens (avoiding AZT and d4T Zerit) have less risk of fat loss and the resultant emaciated look. Weight loss from an opportunistic infection would be very unlikely as long as the CD4 count stays over 200.

Best of luck to you!

First-line Meds when Hepatitis C infected?
Inconsistent HIV test & lymphoma