hiv & hep c treatments

I am a 43 year old female who has been hiv and hep C positive since 1991. I have been fairly healthy and have taken various meds. I am concerned about my elevated liver enzymes. I have been on Viread, Viracept & Sustiva f/2 years. I discontinued the Viracept & Sustiva for 2 months(due to insurance issues)and my liver functions were almost normal. When I started the meds again my ALT's/AST's rose to mid 100's. Which meds for HIV are the least toxic to the liver. Thank you for your help!

Hello and thanks for posting. It is difficult to say which medications are least toxic to the liver since most liver reactions to HIV medications individual reactions and not predictable. But in some of the studies that have looked at this issue the antiretroviral agents that are more likely to be associated with liver toxicity are Norvir, Viramune, and Aptivus. None of these seem to apply in your current situation. The most important question which takes precedence over the blood liver enzyme levels for anyone with hepatitis C is what the stage of the liver disease is. This is determined by liver biopsy and to a large extent determines when it is time for HCV treatment. Best of luck to you!

Aptivus
First-line Meds when Hepatitis C infected?