Missing Medications

I have been HIV positive for ten years. I have been on antiretrovirals in the past but stopped for a couple of years. Now I have been back on viral therapy for over a year. Recently my life has gotten quite chaotic and I missed two doses one week and four the next week. I have been back on track for four days now. I take my dose once a day. Was it okay to restart my meds or should I have gone on a drug holiday for a while? Can tolerance be built up in such a short time?

Thanks for your post.

I think that continuing on your regimen is the right thing. Going on an unsupervised drug holiday is a really bad idea from my point of view. Patients who are having difficulty with their medications should let their doctors know about their situation-- that said, missing 6 doses over a two week period deserves thought. This frequency is pretty high, and if continues would almost certainly put you at risk of developing drug resistance.

If one assumes that your viral load was undetectable at the beginning of this chaotic period, the actual risk of resistance probably isn't too high. Nevertheless, I'd be sure to mention this non-adherence to your doctor at your next visit, in order to accurately interpret your lab tests.

Good luck and health to you. Write back anytime with follow up questions. BY

sero converted in June. Start meds or no?..
infants becoming hiv negative-?