Another Sustiva question

I've read so much on the side effects of Sustiva. It seems that the rash and sleep problems may be the most problematic. I am about to start taking Sustiva after a year off antiviruals. My question is why don't I read anything regarding the use of a sleeping drug like Ambien or Ambien CR to help get through the bad nights. Also, reguarding the rash I may get. I already take an over the counter drug, Claritin D 24 hour, for allergys. In your opinion would that work as well as benedryl? I look forward to getting your response. Thank you. Mike

Thank you for your post.

You're correct in that rash and sleep problems are commonly observed side effects of efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin). Rash only occurs in a small minority of patients-- I tend not to preemptively treat all patients starting on efavirenz for this reason.

By contrast, I do offer sleep aid medications, like Ambien or Lunesta for patients starting on efavirenz, particularly those who already have difficulty with their sleep habits.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the new regimen. BY

help
Zantac with Combivir & Sustiva