doctors don't listen

How come YOU GUYS can answer the questions and do it exceptionally well???!!! Why can't my own doctor listen to me??? I recently took a new form of levaquine (3 pills 750mg--one per day for 3 days) even though i told my doctor that when i took the 500mg a long time ago for sinus problem it made me feel psychotic and made my tendons and muscles feel sore---like i had worked out too hard. He said take it anyway and now i have a ruptured achilles tendon that is gonna need surgery. He told me that there were few side effects of this drug. I have 2 different doctors: one knows nothing about HIV--but i go to him because he pretty much lets me do what i want now---since he is clueless (had to choose him because of insurance). The other one seems knowledgable but is very demeaning and berating. He just wants to order a lot of tests unrelated to the reason i came for and office visit. He also charges for EVERYTHING--i.e. sick note for work. I know they are trying to make money--but come on.My ear was very infected and i could not hear out of it at all--worsened by air travel over a holiday. He wanted to do an audiology test because my insurance would cover it. Why??? my ear was infected---of course i would not have a good result! Wouldn't have made more sense to check it when my infection cleared up? Also---after YEARS of sleeping pills and doctors ignoring me---i had a polysomnogram test and was diagnosed with SEVERE sleep apnea and now have to wear a CPAP machine at night. I am very thin so i do not fit the profile. But i have read recently that testosterone therapy can cause the uvula and tonsils to swell and cause and obstruction. Whatever----i am almost off the sleeping pills and feel soooo much better. i could go on and on about how I have to manage my own care over the years. I want the doctors to do their job and keep up on the latest. If it is a new drug--read up on the side effects. Etc. Is that asking too much? Anyway---how can i find a good doctor in philadelphia?

Thanks for your post-- I appreciate your complements about our site, but am saddened to hear about your complications and lack of confidence and communication with your doctors.

More than anything else, it's time for a heart-to-heart discussion with your doctors-- if you can't find satisfaction, then it could be time to switch. I refer patients to their local AIDS service organization for referrals- ASO's typically have the inside scoop on who's been naughty and who's been nice. ASOfinder.com is a good starting point, if you're not already established as a client. Also, many excellent HIV care providers (not necessarily all) are members of the American Academy of HIV Medicine. Their website (aahivm.org) has a "find a provider" search engine that can help.

Good luck, write us back to let us know how you've fared. BY

AIDS PROGRESSION
is this true