Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

doctors don't listen
Dec 21, 2005

How come YOU GUYS can answer the questions and do it exceptionally well???!!! Why can't my own doctor listen to me??? I recently took a new form of levaquine (3 pills 750mg--one per day for 3 days) even though i told my doctor that when i took the 500mg a long time ago for sinus problem it made me feel psychotic and made my tendons and muscles feel sore---like i had worked out too hard. He said take it anyway and now i have a ruptured achilles tendon that is gonna need surgery. He told me that there were few side effects of this drug. I have 2 different doctors: one knows nothing about HIV--but i go to him because he pretty much lets me do what i want now---since he is clueless (had to choose him because of insurance). The other one seems knowledgable but is very demeaning and berating. He just wants to order a lot of tests unrelated to the reason i came for and office visit. He also charges for EVERYTHING--i.e. sick note for work. I know they are trying to make money--but come on.My ear was very infected and i could not hear out of it at all--worsened by air travel over a holiday. He wanted to do an audiology test because my insurance would cover it. Why??? my ear was infected---of course i would not have a good result! Wouldn't have made more sense to check it when my infection cleared up? Also---after YEARS of sleeping pills and doctors ignoring me---i had a polysomnogram test and was diagnosed with SEVERE sleep apnea and now have to wear a CPAP machine at night. I am very thin so i do not fit the profile. But i have read recently that testosterone therapy can cause the uvula and tonsils to swell and cause and obstruction. Whatever----i am almost off the sleeping pills and feel soooo much better. i could go on and on about how I have to manage my own care over the years. I want the doctors to do their job and keep up on the latest. If it is a new drug--read up on the side effects. Etc. Is that asking too much? Anyway---how can i find a good doctor in philadelphia?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post-- I appreciate your complements about our site, but am saddened to hear about your complications and lack of confidence and communication with your doctors.

More than anything else, it's time for a heart-to-heart discussion with your doctors-- if you can't find satisfaction, then it could be time to switch. I refer patients to their local AIDS service organization for referrals- ASO's typically have the inside scoop on who's been naughty and who's been nice. ASOfinder.com is a good starting point, if you're not already established as a client. Also, many excellent HIV care providers (not necessarily all) are members of the American Academy of HIV Medicine. Their website (aahivm.org) has a "find a provider" search engine that can help.

Good luck, write us back to let us know how you've fared. BY

Previous
AIDS PROGRESSION
Next
is this true

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.