Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

starting meds after 8 yr. diagnosis
Dec 21, 2005

Hi I have been positive now for 8 years and haven't been on any meds for 7 years. My CD4 has been 200-236 since first diag. but my VL has gone up thru the yrs. As of Nov. it was over 500,000. I was diag with H. Pylori in early Nov. due to severe pain in my stomach and constant diarehea. I was treated with antibiotic and prilosec, for 10 days, then referred to a GI doctor which performed a upper scope and diagnosed me with Candida Esophogaetis and Hemorahgic Gastritis. He also told me that these are opportunistic infections due to me not taking any meds also my NP has been insisting for me to get on meds. I know its time to face reality and Iam ready to do just that. I dont like taking alot of pills at once and I know that their are meds that are 1 a day. What do u suggest would be a good treatment for me? Can u plz response to my question plz?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hi and thanks for posting. One of more popular starting regimens is Truvada and Sustiva. This would involve 2 pills once daily at bedtime and this cocktail has a high likelihood of success. It is common to have sleep disturbance and vivid dreams for the first weeks of starting Sustiva. Otherwise this combination is generally very well tolerated. Best of luck to you!

Previous
is it thrush and how to treat it
Next
Outlook in next 3-5 years

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.