Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

when will i die?
Dec 19, 2005

Can meds really save me? Recently diagnosed. 5ft 9 weigh 212 lbs, black male, no symptoms, viral load of 7810 cd of 326 and percentage of 24 , should i be concered? doctor says no. Says regular cd4 for black males especially in the caribbean is between 400-500, is he correct? should i go on meds now? will i develop reisstance if i start early will teh vaccine help me when it comes? please help me. I just wnat to die.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting. The short answer is that medications really can save you.

The best estimated time to start HAART (combination therapy) is probably between 200 and 350 CD4 cells. But it is important to not rely on just one determination, but get some additional readings before deciding, especially since your viral load is low.

I was not aware that CD4 counts for black males in the Caribbean were significantly lower and would be interested in seeing citations of any studies that your doctor has.

The development of resistance to drugs is mainly caused by nonadherence to the regimen. When adherence is excellent, the risk of acquiring drug resistant virus is quite low. Even in the case of drug resistant virus, therapeutic vaccines (when developed) would be expected to be effective since they work by immune-based mechanisms.

Shock and despair are extremely common after an initial diagnosis of HIV infection. With the passage of time, support from loved ones, and education, things will get better. Hang in there.

Previous
Colchicine and it's effects on Viral levels
Next
diazipan

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.