Advisable to switch to Truvada from 3TC/Viread?

Hello doc. Would it be a bad idea to switch from 3TC/Viread/Viramune taken once a day (usually without food) to Truvada/Viramune taken once a day? I've been on my current regimen (my first) since May, 2003 and have never experienced any adverse side effects. At the time that I started my treatment, my CD4 was 381 (29%) and my VL was 134,737. My latest labs (taken on 8/9/05) were CD4 of 713 (37%)and VL<50. I've been undectable since August, 2003 and my CD4s have been getting steadily higher. So, as you can see, everything is going well so I don't want to "fix it if it ain't broken," yet the prospect of managing one less bottle of medications seems very appealing. Please advise.

I would switch and I recommend this to my patients. The data demonstrate no significant differences in effectiveness between 3TC and FTC and I have yet to see any problems with side effects to FTC.

In the spirit of full disclosure, you should know that I do speak to clinicians and patients on behalf of the makers of Truvada (among other companies). Yet, I report with all sincerity that was it me taking the medications you are on, I would make this switch.

Low cd4
***A Good Switch,I dont feel bad anymore