Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help!
Dec 18, 2005

Dear Doctor; From myself and on behalf on others in similar situations like myself, id like you to know how grateful we are for the vital, virtually life saving services you are providing for the masses.Peace and respect to all of you. I have just been diagnosed with HIV/HBV/HCV coinfections. My short question is ; Is there any hope for me? Realistically speaking, on average how long can i expect to live with and without treatment? and can i at all expect a normal lifespan with access to adequate healthcare and lifestyle changes?

Please Help me with any information.

MAny thanks. A distressed patient.

Response from Dr. Young

Dear Distressed Patient:

Thank you for your very important and welcomed comments.

Patients with HIV/hepatitis co-infections pose additional managment issues that can complicate treatment and prognosis. That said, there is plenty of reason for hope. We have effective treatments for all three viruses, even if eradication isn't achieved (as is the case for HIV and HBV). I think that it is realistic to believe that a normal life expectancy can happen, with access to medications and experienced medical care. Medications for HCV can result in long-term suppresion of HCV. The medications tenofovir, 3TC and FTC, used to treat HIV, can also result in dramatic decreases in HBV viral levels. Clearly avoidance of additional liver toxicity is important.

So overall, yes, there's plenty of reason for hope. Speak with your doctor about the specific options for medical monitoring and treatment--feel free to write back with any questions.

Good luck and good health to you, happy holidays. BY

Previous
THANK YOU DR.YOUNG
Next
Glands

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.