should I get a tonsillectomy?

hello, first I would like to thank all of you for your vital information and help. This site has answered numerous questions and relieved a lot or worry over the past several years. Now to my question.

I have been HIV positive for about 15 years. I started meds about 2 years ago and things are going well. My latest labs have my TCell count at around 480 and have had an undetectable viral load since about 3 months into the regimine.

I have had tonsil problems most of my life. I probably should have had them removed as a child and they are scarred from the infections I've had throughout the years. I get little pockets that hold food and what-not and when I press on them, they release hard little nuggets of ick. It is a frequent issue of pain and infections for me.

My HIV doctor advised me to have them removed. I went to a throat specialist and have scheduled the surgery for early Jan. 2006. I've gotten many different opinions from friends and holostic practioners and many of them have advised me not to get them removed and they are not aware of my HIV status.

In the long run, I just want to do what will benefit me the most. I worry about after the fact of having them removed. Will it cause more problems for me down the road or will it continue to be more of an issue if I keep them?

Thanks so much for any light you may be able to shed on this situation for me.

Thanks for your post and kind words.

From what you've described, you have chronic symptomatic issues with your tonsils. While I don't generally recommend that everyone get tonsillectomy, with your persistent pain and infections, I would be supportive of your surgery.

There shouldn't be any significant downstream issues with the removal of your tonsils and HIV disease, and in the end this might prove to be a simple solution to your years of pain.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know how you do after your surgery. BY

CD4 GROUTH over time
Change from Combivir