Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

realistic expectations
Dec 15, 2005

I apparently became infected about 15 years ago and started having symptoms...tongue legions, thrush, night sweats and PID. My children who are 10 and 8 also are infected. What are the realistic expectancies for us??

Response from Dr. Young

Wow, I'm sorry to hear your families story.

Fortunately, the with the availability of experienced HIV care providers (doctors, NP, PAs) and combination medications (aka HAART), I'd expect that the prognosis for you and your children can be excellent.

No simple thing, this requires ongoing medical supervision and when necessary, excellent adherence to the medication regimen.

I tell my newly diagnosed patients that I expect them to live normal life expectancies, some may even outlive their doctor.

Good luck, good health to you and yours. Happy holidays, BY

Previous
When to start meds
Next
CD4 GROUTH over time

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.