When to start meds

I was diagnosed on november 4th and I got my first set of labs back this week. My VL is 740,000 and CD4count is 742 but my CD4% is 14...Should I wait to start meds. A friend of mine says to wait but my NP says we should start treatment...What should i do

Thanks for your post.

I'd tend to agree with your NP-- your CD4 count is ok, but your percentage (if confirmed) puts you in an AIDS-defining level. You also have a very high viral load-- indicating that your projected rate of CD4 decline is going to be pretty fast.

What to do now? Simple-- get another set of CD4s and viral loads to see if there's been some sort of error. If the labs agree, I'd strongly consider starting.

Lastly, make sure to get a HIV resistance test too-- to figure out exactly what the best medications to take.

Good luck, BY

meds
realistic expectations