Sustiva and mental side effects

I have been on a regimen of Sustiva and Truvada for over 8 months. I have had some increased difficulty sleeping after several months of meds and about 2 months ago we also introduced 50 mg of Trazodone, which has helped some. However, I find that my short-term memory has been a problem lately and I am having trouble focusing. This has created an issue with my productivity at work. I also sometimes feel a little "stoned". I should mention that I am also currently 2/3 of the way through a 3-month cycle of Sporanox and these effects have intensified during this period. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can better manage this situation? My doctor and I have started dicussing the possible substitution of viramune or a PI for the Sustiva. Thanks!

Hello and thanks for posting. You are relating a fairly common problem in HIV management - trying to sort out if Susitva is the main culprit in producing sleep disturbance and neurocognitive dysfunction. But from the symptoms that you relate there is a good chance the Sustiva is causing problems. The feeling of being 'stoned' is a clue as is the short term memory loss. The complicating issue is that Trazodone may also produce similar side effects in susceptible individuals. Although I am not aware of formal drug interaction studies between Sporonox and Sustiva it is possible that the Sporonox may be contributing to the effect.

Well, what to do? In general, I am not a big fan of adding medications to treat antiretroviral side effects, so switching is an option. Changing to Viramune for Sustiva-related side effects has a long history and is a reasonable option. This would be my first choice, since it saves PIs for potential future use. The risk of Viramune-related liver toxicity is increased in men with CD4 count above 400, so your CD4 count is a consideration. The other option is changing to a PI, and there are many options available. Norvir boosted Reyataz is a very potent PI, which is among the best tolerated of the PIs.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

I dont know who to believe
switching to Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir