I dont know who to believe
Dec 9, 2005
I just heard some disturbing information, and even though it goes against my logic, I feel that I should still ask the question. Everyone keeps telling me that HIV medications only make you sicker, and there is no correlation between AIDS and HIV. I keep reading that there is no real and concret evidence that links the two. I know that I just started my HIV regimen, I do not want to continue if it is going to kill me. I am so confused. I do not want to continue my medication if it is going to kill me, but I also do not want to die of AIDS.
I hope you do not think that it is a sillly question, but I would really liek to reference some scholarly articles and investigations that shows the correlation. Canyou please explain?
Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your post.
Yours deserves a lengthy reply-- but there is much written on this site to refer to and I'll have you search TheBody.com for additional details.
Let me be to the point.
1) HIV causes AIDS. 2) AIDS causes death.
3) HIV medications can restore immune function. 4) HIV medications can prevent death. 5) Some HIV medications (especially in the past), can cause side effects and toxicities. 6) Some HIV medications (especially in the past) have caused fatal toxicities.
There are some who would question the effectiveness of HIV medications or even whether HIV/AIDS is a cause of death. I'm just a simple doctor, and believe that critical thinking is always a good thing, but the fact is that AIDS will kill as many as 8500 people today across the world. The hundreds of deaths we used to see in our city have vanished after the implementation of combination therapies for HIV.
I hope this helps. Read on. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Itchy Skin A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Is Red Eyes A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Runny Nose After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- How Do Lesbians Protect Themselves From Stds?
- Accuracy Of 5 Weeks Hiv Test Using 4th Generation Duo
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.