LEXIVA and REYATAZ - lypo issues?

How lypo-friendly is LEXIVA and REYATAZ?

For those of us who cannot take an NNRTI, what other main lypo friendly meds are there?

When will the newer NNRTI drugs and similiar lypo friendly drugs be available?

Thank you for your help.

THere is not a lot of body shape data on either of these protease inhibitors. A study comparing Sustiva and Reyataz (without Norvir) did find that they were about the same as far as any gain in fat in the belly. With both groups there was an increase in belly fat which may mean that this is less a protease inhibitor than something that happens when people take HIV meds and gain CD4 cells etc.

The is a study that Chuck Hicks at Duke, myself and a group of great collaborators across the US are doing looking at the metabolic changes that occur with Lexiva when combined with either 100 or 200 mg of Norvir. Stay tuned.

Whether Kaletra causes major body shape changes is not clear. I have not seen data that convincingly demonstrate a major effect on fat.

As far as lipids, there are major differences. Sustiva and Viramune can raise HDL (the good) cholesterol but triglycerides can also increase. Reyataz does not change lipids much but likely does a bit when combined with Norvir. Kaletra and Lexiva/Norvir do raise lipids.

New NNRTIs are in the works. TMC125 is one to keep an eye on. I have heard nothing about this drug and fat changes or lipids.

Lyme Disease vs HIV testing
Initial Treatment Choice