Working night shift on Sustiva

My HIV treatment plan consists of Combivir and Sustiva, of which I maintain a strict schedule of taking them around 10 am and pm, respectively. However, my job is one of shift work that rotates counterclockwise. This means I work 6-7 days of "days", "graveyards" and then "swings", with 2-4 days offs in between. I am finding it increasingly difficult to work the night shift after taking the Sustiva due to not being able to remain alert and even some hallucinations. I have been told that some laws protect HIV+ people in this matter, meaning that if it is in my best interest in my health...I may be able to legally discontine the night shift. Have you ever heard of this. (NOTE, I am an employer of the fed govt.) Also, since starting on the Rx plan 4 mos. ago, my VL went from 180,000 to undetectable and CD4 from 375 to 750, so I am really not wanting to change plans at this time.

This is tough. I know you love your Sustiva but it may just not be the right drug for your lifestyle.

You can ask to change to a more consistent schedule (do you risk only getting the graveyard shift?). I am unaware of the legal aspects but you can see what response you get. This may involve disclosure of you HIV status - which may or may not be an issue for you.

trial therapies
Lyme Disease vs HIV testing