antacids

I work for a ASO and I have recently been told there my be a interaction between antacids and antiretroviral medications. Is this true? Where can I find out more information about this.

Thanks for your post.

You're correct in that several HIV drugs have the potential to interact with various antacids. In particular, the new protease inhibitor atazanavir (Reyataz) is most affected by the use of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs).

I've used these recent revelations to highlight the need for patients and doctors to collect information on all medications and supplements ingested by the patient-- whether a prescription- or over the counter-medication.

Search TheBody.com and you'll find a lot of information about drug-drug interactions. Thanks for the work that you do, write back with any further specific questions. BY

Parents & HIV
CD4 COUNT and SEX