Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Guillain-Barre complicating HIV
Dec 5, 2005

first I would like to thank you for answering my last question ....nothing will change my status but I want to understand what happen to me....I will be blunt and to the point..in july of o4 I was date raped...I was drunk as a shunk so I did not report it police...could not face the the police or family so I just blew it off...and just stopped going out....he raped me rectally....I got sick in october of o4....I had been on vaction in Jamaica in september ...so when I got sick the health department and doctors said it was some kind of meningitis...then they said I had bells palsy....then last but not least....Fisher miller syndrom....I found out that I was HIV positive in June of o5. The HIV doctor said the the fisher miller syndrom was a symtome of the HIV..I stayed in the hospital for a month. and a month worth of therpy to get me able to walk again and reverse the stroke like symtoms to my face. I was told my brain stem was infected...I don't understand, how this is asssocated with HIV infections...please explain...and if this is so...Why did I know find out about the HIV in October of 04

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. Miller-Fisher syndrome is a variant of Guillain-Barre syndrome. This is a known rare complication of primary HIV infection. The theory behind the association is that the immune activation that occurs as a result of the initial response to HIV infection produces damage to nerve tissue. Since this is such a rare condition and Bells Palsy is common this may be why it was diagnosed later. I hope all the best for you.

Previous
how much amount of time does it take to be resistance
Next
bioalcamid

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.