how much amount of time does it take to be resistance

I have a friend who has hiv. She just came out of the hospital. But when she got discharged they did not give her the meds that she was on they did not give any meds. So she called her doctor for them and they did not call her back at all. 3 weeks later her advocate spoke to his assistant. And than they sent the meds to my friends home but now she is afraid to take the meds. Because she may be resistant to it and she feels alot better off the meds than on .She does not know what to do .If you can kindly email me back to explain to her the options that she has we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting. The chance of the virus developing drug resistance from a single treatment interruption is low, but this depends to some degree what the regimen was. What your friend has learned is that the regimen she was on was causing side effects since she felt better when she inadvertently stopped. If her numbers are bad then she will need to restart medications, but a cocktail switch would make sense based on her history of side effects. Best of luck to your friend!

Brother dying of AIDS in hospital
Guillain-Barre complicating HIV