switching meds

I am on my first anti-HIV regimen of Sustiva plus Truvada and am having problems (interrupted sleep, weird dreams, nightmares) because of the Sustiva.

I'd like to switch from the Sustiva to Nevirapine. Is it possible to do this safely, given that after 6 weeks on Sustiva (plus Truvada) I have a CD4 count of 600 and viral load of 194?

Thank you very much for any advice you can give me on this

James, London, England

Dear James,

I would be hesitant to switch you to nevirapine given your high CD4. AS you know, highe CD4 is a risk factor for nevirapine related liver toxicity and rash. Are you taking the Sustiva with any food? If so, stop, Food increases absorbsion of Sustiva and the side effects. Some swear by splitting the dose of Sustiva (i.e. 400 mg before bed and 200 mg in teh morining), although I have not seen much improvement in side effects in patients who have done this.

If you can not tolerate Sustiva a nice once a day alternative is Reyataz+Norvir.

re: peripheral neuropathy
change from working regimen????????