Possible interstitial lung disease

My mom is a 54 years young, white Caucasian. She has had chest/lung pains for the past 3 months now. She was first diagnosed as having pneumonia, but after seeing her again she still had a fog over her lungs. She now just had a Cat Scan and they are saying it could be anything from a infection to cancer. Both doctors asked her if she feels like "she lives in a cave" and "if we ever lived in the MidWest" which neither applies to her. We have lived in South Florida for 13 years and orginally from New Jersy. She works at a restaurant and was a secretary previously. I am very concerned because the Cat Scan results are also talking about sarcoidosis,pneumoconiosis,idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, extrinsic allergic alveolitis and possibly interstitial pneumonia. What's different is that I have been reseaching all of the above and it seems that most sympotoms are dust/animal/coal mine related which again none applies to her. Her primary doctor is now sending her for a pet scan to determine more results but will not rule out anything. Is there ANY advice or help you can give me to give her. I am very worried about her. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sounds like more than anything else, your mother needs to have a definitive diagnosis. A lot of the questions that her doctors have asked are ways of trying to ascertain her risk of one disease or another.

In many cases, getting a lung biopsy (though bronchoscopy) can help nail down the problem and facilitate starting on the right course of treatment.

Good luck to you and your mother, BY

Kaletra + Sustiva??
T-cell & viral load