Switch after 5+ yrs

My Dr recently susgested switching from Viread+Trizavir to Viriad+3TC+Sustiva. It's been many yrs since I've researched drugs and I dont know where to start. HIV+ for over 12yrs, past five+ undetectable with current meds, with slowly increasing T-cells. His reasoning is toxicity of AZT, esp since only other lab of note is my CK which has been rising. Quick glance at Sustiva and there's lots of side effects but wanted to know if you could suggest any people/sites/organizations/anything-at-all to help me compare the pros/cons of the switch as best I can.

Thanks for any help! David

I would not have considered a switch but for the CPK issue. AZT can increase CPK, a muscle enzyme, although usually this is accompanied by symptoms of muscle soreness.

If it seems AZT is the culprit than swapping this out makes sense. One thing you can consider is just adding the Sustiva to your current regimen and if you are tolerating it fine after a week or so, THEN drop the AZT only. I do not know your treatment history and whether you could potentially harbor resistant virus but I am unclear if you need to drop both the AZT and abacavir. Instead, you could change to Epzicom (abacavir+3TC)+Viread+Sustiva. This way the change is less radical.

If you do not tolerate the Sustiva, then it is back to the drawing board.

peripheral neuropathy
Treatment on the Right Path?Treatment on the Right Path?