peripheral neuropathy

Dear Dr,

I was diagnosed in April 2005 with AIDS (21 t-cell & 85K Viral Load). I took my Dr.'s advice and started medication ASAP. I had some resistance to the first class of drugs (sustiva) so he switched me to Kaletra & Truvada which is working just fine. Except that mt feet are in a trmendous amount of pain that is very taxing - it hurts really bad in the AM and my left hand is partically numb.

I am undectable and tcells are climbing 200 right now. But this feeling has me worried. I can't go to the gym heck I can barely walk.

He (dr.) prescribed Mobic and Neurontin and the first day I felt great...but now the pain is back.

I am really scared and nervous that I am losing the battle. I can learn to deal with the numbness but the pain is really holding me back (esecially for work).

I appreciate all the work that this site does - it really has helped me become familiar with this illness.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,

JA

Dear JA,

The HIV medications you are on are not expected to cause peripheral neuropathy. If the symptoms you are experiencing existed even before starting the medications, then that would weigh even more in favor of this not being related to these meds.

Are you on other medication that can do this? Dapsone, for example, has been implicated as a cause of neuropathy. Of course, HIV itself can cause neuropathy.

The numbness in your hand as well as the pain in your feet may point to different things going on at once. Usually, neuropathy is symmetrical (on both sides). An MRI scan of your head and spine may be worth considering. At the least an evaluation by a neurologist is in order. A full work up to look for other causes such as thyroid disease, vitamin deficiency, syphilis, diabetes, etc should have already been done.

The dose of Neurontin can be pushed up very high (900 mg 3 times a day and even higher). See if you are anywhere near the max dose. If all us fails long acting narcotics can work wonders - allowing you to be pain free and to be active. Worries about addiction should not stop you from getting the relief you need to enjoy life.

New Kaletra formulation
Switch after 5+ yrs