Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

recovery from pml
Nov 27, 2005

I have been living with pml for 18 months now,the progression was rapid and I lost my ability to walk,talk,swallow,write and was virtually bedridden.I entered a brain injury rehabilitation program and have made progress,I walk with a walker,follow an execise regime,attend speech therapy,do aquatic balance ecxersises,my last mri revealed the brain lesion is shrinking,my cd4 count is below 200 and my viral load has been undetectable since Sept.04,I have regained close to 100 well needed pounds,can swallow normal and generally try to have a good mind frame,is tthere any success stories of improvement you know of?I would love to be able to walk unassisted one day or at least now if I'm being unrealistic

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your post.

PML is a complication of very advanced AIDS-- in the past, a marker of a time when death was not too far away. With current treatments, persons diagnosed with PML can actually expect long-term survival and improvement in the neurological deficiencies associated with the disease. How much improvement, I think, depends a lot on individual circumstances, and well, a certain degree of good luck.

To this end, I'm very happy to hear of your improvement-- I hope that you'll continue to improve with time. As for your question, I have a number of very memorable patients who have made complete recoveries from PML, for some this improvement was rather rapid (once on HAART), for others, the improvement took a long time.

Either way, keep up the good and difficult work with adherence to your HAART medications and physical therapy.

Best wishes for health, BY

Previous
Barcelona Doctor
Next
what do i do about my weight

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.