D4T 30mg = less side effect?

my doctor has started me on a combination of d4t 30mg + 3tc 150mg twice daily effavirenz 600mg once at night. i am 74kgs when i asked him about a higher dose of d4t as my wgt is more than 60kgs .he assured me there will be no resistance to d4t if i take all my meds as told and also side effects will be significantly less .he is one of the best in india . your response will be highly appreciated.

I am not aware of data that demonstrate that 40 mg and 30 mg of d4T (Zerit) are equal in their ability to suppress HIV (in people over 60 kg). That said, it may be possible. A recently reported study took patients who weighed over 60 kg and were on 40 mg of d4T twice daily and decreased the dose to 30 mg twice a day. Virologic suppression was maintained and there was an increase in limb fat and improvement in lipids.

Also, many of us have dose reduced Zerit in the past, usually without negative consequence.

Therefore, I think that this combination will likely work and be better tolerated. I just wish there were more data to support this dose.

DW DW

Treating HIV in all body compartments
HIV/AIDS Percentage in USA