Herpes meds effects on HIV

First off, many thanks for the availability of this forum, and the education that it provides.

My question is how does Herpes medicines effect HIV? Are there any studies available? I have been positive since April of 2000 and have had no symptoms since converting. In 2003, I developed Herpes and went on Famvir. I wanted to put off anti-virals for as long as possible, but am wondering how taking fanvir for Herpes effects that? Also, my most recent lab results have not come back with good news. My CD4 count is now at 78, when one year ago, I was at 399. I still feel fine. Your thoughts and answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Z

Hello and thanks for posting. There is an interesting association between herpes virus infections and progression of HIV infection. Reactivation of herpes induces an immune response to bring it under control. For someone with HIV infection the reactivation of herpes may lead to a spike in the viral load that may persist for days to weeks. In order to prevent this from occurring it makes sense to maintain herpes prophylaxis with an anti-herpes medication like acyclovir or Famvir.

The drop of CD4 count to 78 is concerning of course. If repeat testing verifies the dramatic drop then you will likely need to begin therapy. But it is certainly possible that such a big drop could be an anomaly and it may be right back up to range when it is repeated. Best of luck and let us know how things go.

Follow Up - Clinical trial / recent seroconversion
Lexiva/Truvada/Norvir and benzos