not on meds yet, time for new doctor??

hello,i have been HIV for three years now ,and i feel great,but my question is about my labs,i can not seem to get them,or should i say my doctor does not explain them to me,he always tells me your doing fine come back in five months now this time he tells me to come back in 1 year so here are my labs,CD4 is 32,absoluteCD4+cells are 525,absolute lymp.are1646,HIVRNA QN PCRis5870and log copies 3.77,what do these numbers mean,i think i need to get another doctor,iwas raped and they recomended this doctor to me, and i have been with him ever since cause they told me he an expert,i need some one to tell me that he is right not to put me on meds,i would think that by now i should be on meds or am i overreacting.please advise me thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting. The usual starting point for therapy is below 350 CD4 cells. Your last CD4 count of 525 is well above this level so you should be safe to be off medications. The over important piece of information is that your viral load is low at 5870. The viral load is a measurement of circulating virus in the bloodstream and low levels are associated with a slower pace of CD4 cell loss.

So your numbers are very good, but a one year appointment is a bit long. And this segues into your next question - should you change to a different doctor? Even if a physician is an HIV expert and makes the right medical decisions, if you sense that you can't talk to him then you have a problem. The direct approach is to set up an appointment to see him and bring up your concerns about poor communication and explanations. If you don't get a satisfactory response, then it is time to move on.

I hope that this helps and best of luck to you!

On Successful HAART
Prickly skin after 2nd dose of new regimen