almost 10 years of haart

Hi, dr. Pierone! Firstly, I'd like to thank you and all the body's great staff for the fantastic work.

I got recently infected (mid-september) due to condom breakage, and as you probably know, I'm very scared on how HIV will change my life.

I firmly believe that science will grant us with much more improvement againt HIV/AIDS, but for what we have now, it seems that currently meds often find failure.

Then, I would like to ask you: 2006 marks 10 years of HAART. Does anyone still take his first regimen since 1996 without rebound or failure? I have heard of very responsible and adherent people taking the same line for 5 to 8 years, but would an entire decade be reachable?

Thanks and best wishes from Brazil.

Hello and thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis of HIV infection. I do have patients that have been on continuous HAART since 1996 without rebound or virologic failure. However, they are not the original combination. Because of improvements in medications they have been changed to safer and more effective regimens. This reflects the advances in therapy that you allude to and I am optimistic about the future of HIV therapeutics. Best of luck to you!

Wasting Partner
Gastrointestinal problems