Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Resistance of Newly Infected Partner
Nov 24, 2005

My question is regarding viral resistance in HIV transmission from a long-time HIVer to a newly infected person. My friend has been in a relationship with an HIV+ partner for 10 years. His partner has been HIV+ for approximately 12 years. Unfortunately, despite 10 years of testing negative my friend was recently diagnosed with HIV. My question is pertaing to viral resistance. Throughout the course of their 10 year relationship my friend's partner has been receiving treatment for HIV. I am not sure specifically as to what kind (though I do know that throughout the course of their relationship he has switched medications several times). Does this mean that my friend has been infected with a very resistant strain that will not respond to the medications his partner has already used? Or will his disease merely progress in him the same (or similarly depending on his body's response)as it has in his partner? Thanks so much for your help.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting. The best answer to your question can be arrived at by your friend having a viral resistance test as part of the initial workup of his infection. This is becoming standard practice - newly infected patients should have a resistance test to determine if they have acquired a drug resistant strain of virus. If this is the case, then this information will help guide drug selection when therapy becomes necessary. The rate of progression depends on many factors and really the only good thing that one can say about drug-resistant virus is that it tends to be weaker than "wild type" virus without resistance.

By the way, it is not a given that your friend will have drug resistant virus. Studies have shown that some patients will have drug resistant virus in their blood, but drug sensitive virus in genital secretions. This phenomenon is related to differences in drug penetration in different compartments of the body. There is a "blood prostate barrier" which prevents certain medications from freely entering the prostate from the circulation which may account for these observations. Best of luck to your friend!

Previous
Should I be considering a change in therapy
Next
Update as requested and for those in doubt of starting meds.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.