Should I be considering a change in therapy

I have been on medications for the treatment of HIV for over 10 years. I started on AZT, 3Tc and Indinavir (3 years). My doctor then changed the protease inhibitor to Nelfinavir to increase the options for the future. After 3 more years, I began to show a rise in VL (over 1000 for two consecutive tests three months apart). At that time, I was put on DDI, Efavarinz and d4T and have been on that for over 4 years. During that time I have been fairly stable with VL staying below 500 for the most part and my CD4 count remaining between 480-620 and the CD4% being 22-24. However, I have begun showing a significant loss of subcutaneous fat that makes the veins stand out on my legs and to a lesser extent on my hands. Should I be discussing a change in my medications with my doctor? Is this a good combination to be on?

Thanks for your post.

I certainly seems like your experiencing toxicity from your drug regimen, namely lipoatrophy-- with the loss of subcutaneous fat in the legs. Of your current medications, the d4T (Zerit) is probably most associated with loss of fat; further, the combination of d4T and ddI is generally avoided now because of increased risk of either drug's toxicity (particulary pancreatitis and peripheral neuropathy).

For this reason, and because we have a couple of alternate nucleoside drugs that might be used in your case (abacavir or tenofovir), I'd certainly discuss the option of switching your medications. Indeed, there are a number of clinical studies that would support the idea of switching from d4T to either abacavir or tenofovir. Together these studies show slow improvement in the body fat changes.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck, BY

Admired
Viral Resistance of Newly Infected Partner