RE: Med Change What to do?

I wanted to update you after your response to my question about the change from Fortovase due to the phasing out of the drug. I did see the specialist and told him that what I wanted to do was to just remove the medication all together and keep the other PI (Viracept) with the viramune and the videx (generic). He stated that the viramune tends to make the viracept week??? Also stated that he would never write a prescription of that nature. I don't understand this as I do not want to go through other medications at this time until I have exausted this set. Anyway, you, my hemotologist/oncologist and myself all seem to think this is worth a try but this specialist is set against it. I have contacted my old doctor for a referral to a different doctor (should have done this the first time) that is willing to work in conjunction with him as well as let me be a part of my treatment decision process. Also if you have any suggestions on physicians in the Des Moines Iowa area to use, PLEASE let me know.

I can't thank you enough for answering my first question. Have a great day.

Hello and thanks for posting. There are always going to be differences of opinion and some clinicians are hesitant to make changes. The American Academy of HIV medicine has a provider locator on their web site and this should be worth a try. Some clinicians treat HIV infection with "more drugs must be better" approach. I am sure that it endears them to the pharmaceutical companies, but is only appropriate under very selective circumstances. Best of luck to you!

My therapy...
HIV & Malignant Melanoma