Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

unhealthy lifestyle
Nov 19, 2005

Dear Dr.: I am a 44 year old bisexual man and have been HIV+ and Hep.C positive for 5 years. (have never taken meds for either virus) I drink 5 to 6 beers/day during the week (heavier on the weekends-12 beers/day). This is nothing compared to what I used to drink prior to 10 years ago, not to mention the amount of valium and qualudes I used to use (I still use valium from time to time). I am 6' tall/weight is 235 lbs. My CD4 count is about 400 and VL is 2900. My lover nags that I should not drink. I feel and look healthy, I eat well, and I get up early and put in a long physical day at work every day. I am an optomistic person and think she is worrying far too much. What are your thoughts? NY

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

From the sounds of it, you do like your beer-- more than I'd be comfortable for someone with hepatitis C, since together the two put you at risk for having more rapid liver disease. Add to this HIV and you have a potential recipie for trouble, since HIV coinfected patients are known to have accelerated hepatitis disease and HIV disease.

I'm not sure that you have to quit all together, but a serious reduction would be recommended.

Talk to your doctor about your situation and recreational consumption(s).

Good luck, thanks for posting. BY

Previous
7+7 Drug theraphy?
Next
removal of spleen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.