HIV AND DENTAL

DEAR DR YOUNG.IHAVE HIV AND NEED TO GET MY TEETH FIXED. I ASKED MY HIV DR WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I DON,T TELL THE DENTIST I HAVE HIV , AND HE SAID PROBABLY NOTHING. I,M SO IMBARREST TO TELL HIM OF FEAR HE WILL FREAK OUT.ANYWAY IF I DON,T TELL HIM DO DENTIST STILL PROTECT THEMSELVES FOR HIV IN REGULAR VISITS?ANYWAY IF I DON,T TELL HIM WILL HE HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING INFECTED? I NOW LIVE IN TEXAS DUE TO HURRICANE KATRINA AND WORKING FOR AMERICAN AIRLINES FOR THE LAST 18 YEARS. REMEMBER THIS IS TEXAS AND THESE PEOPLE ARE COWBOYS AND LETTING THEM KNOW ABOUT MY SITUATION MIGHT LEAD THEM FOR A HANGING IN MY COMMUNITY. THANKS DR.

Aversion to disclosure is a very real problem; I can understand your apprehension.

Since you're now in Texas (presumably in DFW), there are a number of really high quality AIDS Service Organizations that can give you the real beta on who's good (and will hold your name in real confidence). I'd approach your situation this way, rather than not disclose your entire health status to any of your healthcare providers.

To not disclose is doing a disservice to you (insomuch as not assisting your doctor make informed diagnostic and treatment decisions) and to your doctor/dentist (for safety or their own peace of mind).

So, look up the Dallas ASO in the phone book or use ASOfinder.com. I'm sure that you'll get satisfaction.

Good luck and good health, BY

Curious...
Pneumovax