Recently Seroconverted - Clinical Trial?

I was infected August 10, 2005. My viral load on Aug 30 was >750,000, then on Sep. 8 was 325,000 (cd4 670). On Oct. 4, my viral load was 32,500.

I have the option to participate in a clinical trial for people who have seroconverted within the past 6 months. The two groups are do nothing or take emtricitabine, lopinavir/ritonavir, and tenofovir DF for 36 weeks, then stop. My doctors really have no recommendation one way or the other because there is no known answer to the risk/benefit question. How do I decide whether or not to participate??? thanks!

Hello and thanks for posting. The decision to enroll in a clinical trial should be carefully considered. The most important question to answer is whether you would be ok with being randomly assigned to either arm of the study. If so, then it is reasonable to participate. The only way that we will get answers to some of these crucial questions is to do studies like this. In order for them to succeed we need the good will and altruism of volunteers to aids this good cause. Let us know what you decide and how things turn out, best of luck!

HIV meds and the blood brain barrier
Restarting Sustiva