Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently Seroconverted - Clinical Trial?
Nov 6, 2005

I was infected August 10, 2005. My viral load on Aug 30 was >750,000, then on Sep. 8 was 325,000 (cd4 670). On Oct. 4, my viral load was 32,500.

I have the option to participate in a clinical trial for people who have seroconverted within the past 6 months. The two groups are do nothing or take emtricitabine, lopinavir/ritonavir, and tenofovir DF for 36 weeks, then stop. My doctors really have no recommendation one way or the other because there is no known answer to the risk/benefit question. How do I decide whether or not to participate??? thanks!

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting. The decision to enroll in a clinical trial should be carefully considered. The most important question to answer is whether you would be ok with being randomly assigned to either arm of the study. If so, then it is reasonable to participate. The only way that we will get answers to some of these crucial questions is to do studies like this. In order for them to succeed we need the good will and altruism of volunteers to aids this good cause. Let us know what you decide and how things turn out, best of luck!

Previous
HIV meds and the blood brain barrier
Next
Restarting Sustiva

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.